Westminster Abbey Ceiling
Pencil on Paper
Matt black contemporary wooden frame with acrylic glazing.
Acid-free warm white double mount and backing board
This drawing depicts the magnificent ceiling in the Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey. The construction of the Lady Chapel ordered by Henry VII took place between 1503 and 1519 and replaced the 13th century chapel. The Perpendicular architecture here is in total contrast to the rest of the Abbey. No accounts for this building have been found but it is thought that the architects were Robert Janyns and William Vertue. It has been called "one of the most perfect buildings ever erected in England" and "the wonder of the world". Henry spent lavish sums on its decoration. The glory of the chapel is its delicately carved fan vaulted roof, with hanging pendants which are constructed on half-concealed transverse arches.
(Thanks to https://www.westminster-abbey.org/ for this information)